Camping is an outdoor leisure activity involving overnight stays away from home in a tent, a caravan, or Motorhomes. Generally, campers leave the city to spend time outdoors in more natural setting in pursuit of adventure. Packing for a camping adventure can proof to be a daunting task. The below camping checklist will save you the headache of forgetting essential items that can make or spoil your adventures.
When travelling long distance by road, camping is a convenient and cheap means of accommodation.
Camping activities also enable one to learn life survival skills like lighting a fire, putting up a tent as well as learning to survive in a limited space which helps with organization skills.
Having camped several times in different countries and continually learning from my mistakes, i have prepared a camping checklist which you could use when preparing for your upcoming outdoor adventures.
Some items in my camping checklist may be specific to a certain country/location but others cut across the board.
The quantities you pack for camping depends on whether you’re going camping with family or two or more adults. Please note it’s not advisable to camp solo especially in secluded areas.
- Only camp in designated areas- in campsites or hotel/resort compounds
- Avoid camping near running water, animal trails, thick bushes, or berry patches
- Keep yourself and your campsite odour free to avoid attracting wild animals
- Store toiletries and personal items together with food
- Don’t bring strongly scented cosmetics to the campsite
- Set up cooking and eating areas at a safe distance from your tent. Better still lock all food items in the car at night
- Wash and store all dishware immediately after use
- Store garbage away from your tent
- Keep tents, sleeping bags, and clothes free of food
- Do not snack in your tent
Camping Gear Checklist
- Tent, tarp, sleeping bag and sleeping pad.
- Pillows for extra comfort
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Gear repair/sewing kit.
- Pocket Knife, folding shovel.
- Map and compass
- Bug spray
- Bear spray
- Camera with charger
- Playing cards
Clothing & Toiletries
- Rain coat
- Warm clothing for the night (long pajamas, extra socks, jacket, sweater, jeans, T-shirts)
- Change of clothes
- Waterproof boots
- Hiking shoes if you plan to hike around the campsite
- Towel and face cloth
- Biodegradable toiletries
- Waterproof matches or lighter
- Cooking equipment, dishes, and utensils
- Food (Bring extra supplies if you can)
- Drinking water and water bottle
- Water purifier /Filter if on a cross-country road trip
- Paper Towels
- Stove and fuel
- Firewood (Check in advance if available at your campsite)
- Frying pan
- Portable coffee maker
- Corkscrew with beer opener
- Roasting sticks for marshmallows, hot dogs, and Mshikaki
- Containers or bags for food storage
- Trash bags
- Cooler and Ice
- Cups, mugs
- Paring knife, spatula, cooking spoon
- Chopping board
- Biodegradable dish soap/paste/liquid
- Sponge, dishcloth, dishtowel
- Extra pot for washing dishes
The best camping checklist is the one you make yourself. I, therefore, hope mine above will help you tailor-make one. Is there any camping essential I missed? Let me know by adding it on the comments section below.